The management of Shatner manufacturing company is trying to decide whether to continue manufacturing a part or to buy it from an outside supplier. The part, caller CISCO, is a component of the company's finished product. The following information was collected from the accounting records and production data form the year ending December 31, 2017
1. 8000 unit of CISCO were produced in the machining department.
2. Variable manufacturing costs applicable to the production of each CISCO unit were: direct materials $4.80, direct labor $4.30, indirect labor $0.43, utilities $0.40.
3. Fixed manufacturing costs applicable to the production of CISCO were:
Cost Item Direct Allocated
Depreciation $2100 $900
Property taxes 500 200
Insurance 900 600
All variable manufacturing and direct fixed cost will be eliminated CISCO is purchased. Allocated costs will have to be absorbed by other production department.
4. The lowest quotation for 8,000 CISCO units from a supplier is $80,000.
5. If CISCO units are purchased, freight and inspection costs would be $0.35 per unit, and receiving cost totaling $1,300 per year would be incurred by the machining department.
(a) Prepare an incremental analysis for CISCO. You analysis should have columns for (1) Make CISCO, (2) Buy CISCO, and (3) Net income increase/ (Decrease)
(b) Based on your analysis, what decision should management make?
(c) Would the decision be different if Shatner Company has the opportunity to produce $3,000 of net income with the facilities currently being used to manufacture CISCO? Show computations.
(D) What nonfinancial factors should management consider in making its decision?
0 rating(0 Reviews)